Name:
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Really gettin' old, I guess.

When I answer my business phone I say, "Ooten Aboot speaking" which I consider a business-like way to answer, especially since I do business under my own name. People who call my business phone legitimately call because they want to speak with me.

I get a lot of calls from people I don't know, trying to sell me something I don't need or want. They almost all open with "Hi Ooten! How are you?" Why do businesses train people to behave that way?

Recently I responded with, "Do we know each other?" to which the voice replied, "No, I'm just asking how you are." "Well," I said, "I'm busy working, and I suppose you are too." Then I hung up.

Later I got an e-mail that read as follows (names changed to protect the innocent until proven guilty):

Hi Ooten,

I tried to contact your [sic] earlier today to pass along my contact information, but it sounded like you were a little busy.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any needs.

Thank you,

Gnu Guy
Inside Wholesaler
Colossal Investments Canada Ltd
123 Any St. Suite 1000000
Toronto, ON P05 T4L
Tel: (999) 555-1212/ (888) 555-3434
Fax : (999) 555-7777

gnu.guy@colossal.com

Okay. I was rude. But why didn't Gnu identify himself on the phone the way he did in the e-mail? If he had opened with "Ooten, this is Gnu Guy from Colossal. I'm your new inside contact . . ." he would have got an entirely different reception. Phoning someone is just like knocking on their door. When they answer, it is up to you to identify yourself and state your reason for being there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home